Monday, September 26, 2011

completed landscaping..

Well, the landscaping is completed... for this year. After the fellas from DNJ Landscaping were done, I seeded a few small areas of grass that needed to be done. Some grew pretty well and some, well... not so much. I will overseed in spring anyway. I have also purchased a few planters but nothing to put in them until spring. A lot will happen in spring out there yet.

We have been enjoying the space. Sometimes we sit on the deck in the front and have a cup of tea in the morning. It's starting to get too cool to do that much anymore though, being the end of September. We have also enjoyed a few late night fires on the stone patio. Gotta love those nights! It's so amazing to sit out there and see the stars and trees... :)

I do have a couple photos to share. This is the front where we replaced an old concrete step that was broken with a nice new deck and we also had weeping tile drainage under the new sod. To the left of the deck under the window, I reseeded a patch of grass that has not grown yet in this photo. Ten years ago when we bought... and now:


This is the south side of the house where we used to have a 2ft wide sidewalk and patchy weeds because nothing would really grow well in that spot. We had water issues the past couple years in our basement by the side door so it was important to get the drainage along here. The first photo is from 2006 when we were removing the old fence to be replaced. I couldn't seem to find another with a good view of the side before.



Now there is weeping tile under the slag to the right along the fence and no space alongside the house. Instead the walkway slopes away from the house to channel the water to the weeping tile.



And lastly, there is now a stone patio out back where we used to have juniper bushes (around the bottom of the cedars) and patchy grass and weeds. The dirt areas around the patio have been reseeded and has grown in pretty well now. The area you see in the first photo is the lilac bush beyond the patio in the second photo. I couldn't find a better photo that showed the yard before the fence was replaced but this one is from before we did much work on the yard at all.




There is now some patio furniture and a firepit to enjoy in the evenings when the weather permits. We weren't sure we'd have much chance to enjoy it this year but we have a few times already. :)

Someday I'll post some before and after photos of the main floor of the house... and some other time of the basement, which we are still working on. It's definitely been a work in progress for us! What do you think of the changes?

Dee..

No comments: