Monday, May 9, 2011

outdoor renovating..

We've had a wet spring with some flooding in the area. Many basements have had water come in, including ours. We aren't really in a low-lying area so I believe if the grade around the house was in proper repair then we likely wouldn't have had any water come in. We considered landscaping last year but then did the siding and soffits instead. So, now this year we MUST do some landscaping to take care of that grade and get the ground sloping away from the house again. This will also mean moving my strawberry plants... and my tulips and irises. Digging for me to do in preparation...

The spacing between the houses is not all that wide in our neighbourhood so we've been trying to come up with a plan to help with spring drainage. I think maybe we've figured something out. We'll make the whole side from concrete blocks sloping away from the house and draining into a pseudo drainage ditch lined with eavestroughing or weeping tile. My only concern with weeping tile is that the water may not run off fast enough unless it's a more open kind of thing. I guess we will have to chat with whatever landscaper we hire to see if they have ideas of what to use.

Another thing I'd like to do is create a little patio out back to have the barbecue on... and where we can have a little bistro table. I have an image in my mind but I'm just not sure of all the details yet. Our yard is so dark that a little lighting would be good but that could be something of the solar variety so we don't have to run power lines. One of the biggest issues is the junipers under the cedar trees. They get looking so scruffy and we'd like to get rid of it but our gas and power lines run right through their root system and so we don't know how well removing them will work. Another question for the landscapers, I suppose.

The front step (made of concrete) has been cracked since we moved in and for a few seasons now has been home to a nest of wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets. That definitely needs a facelift as well. We had thoughts of a small deck out front but I'm leaning away from that idea because of cost. I think a small concrete patio might be a better option though the step would need to be a little bigger than it currently is. Dreams... It's fun to think about what to do and what it will look at. It's just difficult to balance the dream with the reality of finances and the timing needed.

Dee..

No comments: