Good morning! Wow.. this week was strange and it's not over yet. The weather was a lot of the reason for the strangeness, I think. I spent a lot of time just not knowing what I was going to be able to do and when. Thankfully, I live a life where I don't have to do most things on a specific time schedule. Being the late fall/early winter on the Canadian prairies, we get some questionable weather at times. This week was a lot of rain and sleet with a little snow to cover it all and make it pretty. Pretty dangerous! LOL I refused to drive especially after the sun went down. We only have one vehicle (all we really need) and that makes it important that we don't have a situation where that vehicle needs to be away from home.. like in the shop for repairs.. very often. That really made for a lot of evenings at home but it was great because I had a lot of catching up to do with email. ;)
Monday was the worst day weather-wise. We'd had rain and snow and then sleet till there was layers of ice on things. Luckily the temperatures didn't drop too far and it melted a fair bit, too. After a morning of learning with the kids, I ran an errand for my mom (paying bills she doesn't get to pay because of the hours she works) and then spending a couple hours of volunteer time at the local Pregnancy Counselling Centre. Half my time was spent with a client and half was in further training with the Director. My sweet hubby drove for me and so we decided to pick up some take-out for supper. I usually go to a corporate prayer meeting Monday nights but because of the weather I decided to stay home and relax a little. It was a nice evening with the family. :)
Tuesday was fairly similar with our day starting with learning. Late morning I spent some time in prayer for a friend in Montreal. Her dad was having surgery and so I felt it important to give her and her family some prayer support before and during that time. We continued with more school-ish things and computer time in the afternoon. Then my son had a CT scan to go to. Normally I might have gone on my own with him but the whole family came. The technician was so wonderful with him. Drew was a little frightened because he didn't know what to expect and since I haven't had one before either, I wasn't really able to allay his fears. The technician explained EVERYTHING that was going to happen and how the machine would sound and how it would move. It was really great and I was so thankful for that young man. It was, of course, over in a few minutes. The funniest part was when the technician asked if we wanted to see the pictures that were taken. We went into the back and the pictures were pulled up on the computer screen. Drew's eyes got really big as he asked, "Is that my brain?" After the affirmative answer, he said, "Wow! I thought it wouldn't be that big!" Even then the technician was very good at explaining how the CT looked at the brain like it was sliced bread. Very cool! I thought it was really too bad my daughter couldn't have been in there as well. We had supper at an Italian restaurant which was fantastic (and yielded leftovers for lunch the next day) it was getting late so we didn't do much else.
Wednesday was a homey day. I even stayed in my pjs all day! That hasn't happened in a long time. We did a fair bit of learning and since it was sleeting outside I put off getting groceries even though we were running out of a lot of things. (In fact, I still haven't done that so it's on the agenda for today.) We read a few Canadian biographies aloud. It is my favourite time of day. The kids and I work on craft items while one of us reads and then we rotate reading opportunities so we all get to read and we all get to listen. It really is such a nice way to learn. Because there are only a few of us (3) we are able to stop and answer questions or discuss things whenever we like and it can take us quite a while to get through books. I know that they are remembering more of what is read though and that makes it all worthwhile.
Thursdays are usually fairly busy because the kids have ARCHE Afternoon Activities where they participate in class-like learning opportunities at a local church. It's a really great time of fellowship with other homeschool families and they really enjoy their time there. They learn different things each "term" and make friends with other families. So, after a fairly productive morning, we went there. At the same time, we took my mom her mail (she lives at work so she uses our address as a mailing address) and then enjoyed the afternoon. Bob took in Stacey's classes this week. She is involved in a Shakespeare play where she is playing Horatio in Hamlet. Then she is learning to play volleyball in her physical education class. I go with Drew to his Spanish class. It's very basic and simple but it's a lot of fun as well. The lady teaching it learned Spanish as her first language so it's a great opportunity for the kids to learn the pronunciation. Then he has a physical education class and a Greek Mythology class. There is a talent night at the end of the term where the students get to show off what they have learned. It's always a lot of fun. :) On the way home we had to stop at our church to get the reading off the photocopier to send to Danka and picked up some fresh veggies we needed for supper. And the evening was spent with supper, cleanup and then some email.
On to yesterday! I had trouble sleeping Thursday night and it was actually 6am before I finally felt that I might be able to doze off. I slept on the sofa in the livingroom though because I didn't want to disrupt Bob at 6am. I slept till 9am and did quite well to get through the day. The main part of our day was spent with learning, laundry, and computer time. I was really starting to feel like I was not going to manage Cleansing Stream in the evening so I laid down for about an hour. I didn't sleep for very long but it was just enough of a cat nap to enable me to carry on. Praise the Lord! It also took away the beginnings of the migraine I had started to get. Yay! The kids were babysitting for our friends again so they were picked up a little before we had to go. We were stopping to deliver a wedding gift that took me a little longer to make than I thought it would. The wedding was the last weekend in August! LOL It did get done though.. and delivered to our friends. I crocheted 3 small doilies (9" diameter) with 8 matching coasters. They turned out quite pretty so I am thinking I want to make some for myself sometime. We didn't take time to really visit or anything but there were promises of getting together soon. :) Off to Cleansing Stream! I photocopied bulletins for Sunday service and then the next couple hours was spent with worship and learning about the power of the spoken word. It didn't start on time because so many were late and so we also got home late. We read email and then watched a show on tv (Joan of Arcadia) before turning in for the night.
Today is going to be a BUSY day as I catch up on a few things that I normally would have done during the week. The house will get cleaned (I hope!) and a trip to the library & grocery store will be made as well as picking up a book from someone from our local FreeCycle group. It's a great online group that gives and receives items for free that were no longer needed with the previous owners but someone else can still use them. It's a great way to keep items out of the landfills. I have a few things I want to post on there and we have received a few things that we now won't have to buy. We love to freecycle! :) Then some bills will get paid and laundry put away and likely a little more cleaning. I'm hoping to get some reading done with the kids as well. It's such an enjoyable part of our days that we sometimes carry it over to the weekends. I believe there's also a science experiment in the works for today.
Now that I've caught up I better get going. Brunch is in the works and I should go help with it then get my grocery list done and head out to get these things done. Perhaps I'll pop in here later tonight or tomorrow. Hasta la vista! I'll be back! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment